Thursday, December 26, 2013

Pennsylvania Oilproof Vacuum Cup Tires (1914)


Pennsylvania Oilproof Vacuum Cup Tires...it took several minutes for me to figure out the middle line of text was "oilproof". I guess typography wasn't a big concern in 1914 when this ad aired. I'm sure that what we see as double (or even triple) entendre went without so much as a raised eyebrow back in the ragtime era too. I like to imagine that a car equipped with PA oilproof tires sounded like a motorized octopus going down the avenue. Cue the suction-cup sound effects!

Speaking of suction cups, notice that the ad executives didn't use that term when describing their tire tread design? Patents for the first modern suction cups were issued by the US Patent Office in the 1860s. TC Roche was awarded a patent in 1866 for what he called a "Photographic Developer Dipping Stick". In 1868 Orwell Needham patented a more refined suction cup, calling it an "Atmospheric Knob"  which he purposed for use as a handle for drawers. I couldn't find an etymology for "suction cup" on the web, but I'm sure it's out there somewhere and that it probably didn't come into use until after 1914.


I couldn't find any definitive information on the fate of the Pennsylvania Rubber Company, though I did find that a company going by the name of  the Pennsylvania Rubber Works moved from Erie, PA to Jeannette, PA in 1903. It's probably that the name changed at some time and that the records of that change didn't show up in my web search. I did find a postcard of the Pennsylvania Rubber Works in Jeannette, though. These cards always amaze me. I mean, the factory and the landscape in which it appears are utterly un-amazing and though I appreciate having it as a document for this blog post, I can't imagine sending it to the folks back home. 



On the back of the card, "Hey mom and dad, just drove by this building and boy did it stink. Made me miss ma's meatloaf..."


No comments: