Thursday, September 12, 2013

GEM Blades!

Shave all your facial features off with GEM Blades! Sometimes I stream Cladrite Radio while writing, and that mean's that occasionally I’m treated to an old GEM Blade radio ad. They have all the subtlety of the modern Head-On ads that used to add extra misery to late night television. “Buy GEM Blades…Buy GEM Blades…” I can't say I've ever actually been tempted to seek out GEM blades.

It hasn't been that long since most men shaved with single-bladed razors like the one shown in the ad. My father used to have a Gillette single-blade. The handle turned to open the razor for blade replacement and it had a real science fiction look.

I'm really not sure why the ad execs decided not to give the illustration a face. It's striking, yeah, but in the same way a mime is - you don't really want to get any closer. Definitely doesn't make me want to shave with a GEM blade, it makes me suspect they may be really dangerous!

No comments: