Friday, June 15, 2018

Happy National Picnic Week 2018

There's a national (and sometimes international) day or week for just about any interest you can think of nowadays. Poodles have their day on October 6th, Stamp collecting gets the whole month of October, Strawberries get February 27th, and picnics get June 15th - 24th. What's the deal with a week that doesn't begin on Monday anyway? Was it a ploy to give people time to plan a picnic for the weekend that sits in the middle of picnic week? Something doesn't smell right and I don't think it's the Limburger. Speaking of cheese, why not have a picnic ad?


I have to say this is one of those odd occurrences where I've got a little experience with the products that show up in this 1937 ad from Life Magazine. In my case it's probably expected I'd know Velveeta, Kraft is still manufacturing this fine petroleum-based cheese food product to this very day. And, I guess everyone knows Kraft singles, those plastic slices of salty something that topped the bologna sandwiches of my youth. But, today I'm speaking of the little jars of cheese spread at the left of the ad. My grandparents used to get the Pimento Spread and Old English and I remember them being a feature at many a holiday gathering. Now, I don't really remember them being eaten. I definitely only tried them once. Still seeing them is enough to bring back memories.

Anyway, if you're out to celebrate picnic week, maybe throw some bulletproof cheese products into your basket. If nothing else you can use them to build a signal fire, or you can throw them at bears.

No comments: