Sunday, April 6, 2014

1957 Dodge


The car in this two-page spread from the November 1956 issue of Life Magazine is the 1957 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer 2-Door. Nice piece of mid-century modernism, swept tail fins, lots of chrome, and the obligatory waspy couple dressed for a night out doing...something waspy.

I found a better picture to convey the sheer magnitude of this car on the Mecum Auction site. This is a car from the all-metal dashboard era. My father had a Ford Galaxie from this approximate era. I distinctly remember how the dash got branding-iron hot during the Indiana summers. Now I wish I had that car, at least for nostalgia sake since all I really remember is getting burned on the dash and dad spending all evening working on the thing. Funny thing, nowadays if you drop a dime inside the engine compartment of your car, you'll never find it again. Back in the mid-60's you could have dropped a basketball inside the Galaxie's engine compartment and it would have hit the ground.

No comments: