Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Hunt's Tomato Sauce and Murder...


Judging from the picture, I think those daggers found their mark.

Even though Easter is behind us, I thought one more lamb-inspired ad might be in order. I'm not exactly sure about the creole origin of this recipe. Ladling Hunt's Tomato sauce over chops hardly seems to speak of the Caribbean or Louisiana, but this ad did air in 1948, a somewhat less worldly time.

I also thought that the copy didn't really go with the artwork. I mean staring daggers isn't exactly "pouting". Looks like Aunt Mary is contemplating her role in a Mrs. Marple murder, not trolling for compliments on her cooking. My mind completes the vignette with a detective standing over the body of Uncle John, "Strychnine," he says, pushing his rumpled hat back off his forehead. "What is it with dames and poison?"

No comments: