Sunday, June 15, 2014

Chrysler Red-Head Engine and the 1927 Imperial 80


I wasn't able to find anything about the Chrysler Red-Head engine other than ads of the period. This one comes from the November 3,1927 issue of Life Magazine. I couldn't resist the nouveau feel of the ad, so here it is. According to the copy, the red-head engine was a high-compression option for Chrysler 52's, 62's, 72's, and Imperial 80's, but that's all I've got.



The Imperial 80 was Chrysler's high-performance, luxury sedan of the era, with the "80" supposedly representing the vehicle's top speed. With the roads of the era being what they were, I'd imagine 50 miles per hour would be enough to rattle the fillings right out of your teeth and leave you shaking like you had the DT's for a month afterward. Every time I see its design, I start to hear jazz and think of gangsters and Tommy guns.

Nice ad and a fantastic car!

No comments: