Friday, August 9, 2013

Kool-Aid Days

I’ll always remember Kool-Aid as the drink that wasn’t soda pop. Even though I grew up in the sixties and seventies, my mother could have been taking advice from this 1948 ad from Boy’s Life. The cheapness of Kool-Aid and its dubious imitators appealed to her penny-pinching nature and like Frank Herbert’s spice addicts, my brother and I bore stained lips through the summer months. Unfortunately, we never were able to fold space and time.

August 9th through IIth is, according to the corporate website, Kool-Aid Days. Personally I don’t think a corporate entity can declare any sort of days. Next we’ll have National Rolaids Week to follow Thanksgiving, National Weight-Watchers Week to proceed swimsuit season, and National Alka-Seltzer Day on January 2nd.  Anyway, for those old enough I suggest the only glass of colored water you drink is whiskey and soda.

No comments: