Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Candy of the Day - Beech-Nut Gum

Beech-Nut Packing Company entered the gum making business in 1910 and diversified from there, eventually making everything from catsup to baby food. I can’t say I’ve ever tried Beech-Nut, but my dad always had a pack of their competitors gum (Juicy Fruit) in his shirt pocket. I still remember the story he told me that if the gum didn’t pop it was spoiled, after which he’d give me a new stick.

This 1938 ad from Life Magazine also mentions two other Beech-Nut products: Beechies and Oralgene. Beechies were the equivalent to Chicklets, little candy-coated gums in a box. Oralgene was touted as a dental aid which “gives your mouth, teeth, and gums beneficial exercise...”
Though I have fond memories of these stick gums, I have to admit that any time I got a pack in my Halloween haul my first thought was “wow, that’s weird…”

No comments: