Saturday, May 3, 2014

Indy 500 - The Year Without a 500


As you can tell from the headline, this lovely cover comes from the November 15, 1917 issue of Motor Age. Yeah, I know there have been several years when the Indianapolis 500 was cancelled and most of them have been due to wartime rationing, but I especially liked this cover. It might be because the brawny brute literally casting the wet blanket over what I believe is supposed to be the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (or maybe a surf board, not really sure) reminds me of Heatmiser from The Year Without a Santa Clause. Regardless, you can see the smoke of war rising on the horizon, a representation of World War I ravaging Europe. Nice cover, even if it's a bit crude and I love the two little fleeing race cars at the lower left. If you assume this is the 500 track they're tearing down 25th Street heading for the interstate!

No comments: