Saturday, May 3, 2014

Mint Julep Time

Hope you're having a great Derby day and to help, here's a little recipe for the drink of the run for the roses - the mint julep. Now, I'll qualify this entry by saying I'm not a julep fan so I can't attest to whether this clipping makes a drink worth watering the horses with.

What I can say is that it comes from the July 1942 issue of Boating Magazine and (as you can see) is attributed to Holland-America ship line. Doesn't sound too southern to me.

Like many alcoholic beverages, it's virtually impossible to track down the origin of the mint julep. What can say is that it probably started as a medicinal treatment and cases can be sited where it was prescribed as a treatment for nausea and vomiting. Londoner John Davis described the mint julep in print in an 1803 publication as "a dram of spirituous liquor that has mint steeped in it, taken by Virginians in the morning..."

No comments: