Sunday, November 6, 2016

Thanksgiving Feed - Pep (1950)

I've fallen off my schedule and just like a cook who forgot to defrost the turkey before Thanksgiving Day, I've got some time to make up! So, get ready, here's the first of a half-dozen Thanksgiving Day treats to get us in the mood for food!



Kellogg's Pep, "the sunshine cereal" was a sponsor of The Adventures of Superman radio program and the whole wheat alternative to Wheaties Cereal back in the 1920's. It's also touted as one of the first vitamin "fortified" cereals on the market. It eventually died a quiet death from the side effects of obscurity in the 1970's. Seems like I remember it showing up on shelves at the local A&P, but I would have been less than ten and memories from that age are sketchy at best.

Strange that an ad that ran in the March 6, 1950 edition of Life Magazine would come across comparing father and daughter. I'd have expected it to feature daughter serving daddy breakfast and lecturing him on the "builder-upper" powers of Pep instead of showing off her Rosie the Riveter guns. Maybe the world isn't as black-and-white as this ad. Speaking of that, you've got to love a bowl of cereal that could be mistaken for dry leaves, don't you? If 50's ads and cookbooks have taught me anything it's that you eat with your eyes first. Judging from this ad, I'd sooner touch a match to a bowl of Pep than put it in my mouth!

No comments: